“There is neither man or woman in this Church who is not on a mission. That mission will last as long as they live, and it is to do good, to promote righteousness, to teach the principles of truth, and to prevail upon themselves and everybody around them to live those principles that they may obtain eternal life.”
Discourses of Brigham Young

Monday, February 1, 2010

January Activities

I can hardly believe another month has past. Now that we have been on Okinawa for more than three months, we feel we're "hitting our stride." That is to say, we are making our own way and developing a pattern of service based on direction from our leadership and the inspiration we receive from prayerful consideration.

As Military Relations missionaries, we find great joy in working with our American military personnel and their families. We have the highest regard for the work they do serving our country as well as the other nations of the world. They sacrifice a great deal, and for the most part they do it with honor, pride and integrity.

We have just started a Young Single Adult program on Monday nights for the many unmarried military men and women stationed here. Our group is small now but we anticipate its growth over time as word spreads. Transportation is a problem for many because military bases reach from an hour's drive north to nearly as far south. Marines under a certain rank are forbidden to drive, and the shuttle bus service is slow and inconvenient. These are some of the obstacles to be overcome. Nevertheless, we are happy to have this new program underway at last.

One of our new assignments is to periodically inspect the 13 missionary apartments on Okinawa (not including our own). This is not as simple as it might sound. "Inspection" means more than checking for cleanliness and order. It means verifying that every light fixture, window screen, appliance and furniture item is in good repair. It means ensuring that there is an adequate amount of furniture, kitchen items and bedding -- acquiring what is needed while disposing of accumulations of unusable items. It means teaching basic housekeeping skills and home repair to young missionaries from a variety of countries, cultures and family circumstances. We will repeat this process every 12 weeks. We know we'll learn much as well as teach.

It was rather chilly during most of January, but there are already signs of spring! The cherry blossom season has already begun. Okinawa is replete with cultural and natural attractions. As time and opportunity permits, we fit in brief excursions to interesting places. If you have not looked at our pictures of the Okinawa Churaui Aquarium, be sure to check our web album.

http://picasaweb.google.com/savagetribe/2010Aquarium?authkey=Gv1sRgCKWPtvOq_oqsrwE#

We also spent a couple of hours at the Okinawa Peace Memorial Park and Museum which tells the story of the Battle of Okinawa, one of the bloodiest battles of World War II.

We are having the most marvelous experience here. We give thanks every day for the opportunity to work and to serve the Lord in this choice location among such wonderful people.

Culture Corner: Laundry
Everyone it seems hangs their laundry on their balcony or porch. When it is humid or raining, it takes a long time for clothes to dry.
The Japanese are very frugal and very conscious of power consumption.
As far as I know, clothes dryers are rare.

Our apartment was built more or less to American standards, due to the fact that many Americans live on Okinawa. A laundry room is a rare luxury in Japan.

We have a very nice laundry room, with both a washer and dryer. Japanese appliances are much smaller than their American cousins. The washer is connected to a cold water faucet only; there is no hot water hook-up for laundry.

Our drying rack.
We do some of our laundry in our apartment. The rest -- typically sheets, towels and underwear -- we take to the laundromat on the base. We are extremely fortunate to have these options.

2 comments:

  1. This so reminds me of apts all over Tokyo...no one uses a dryer as the power is so expensive! Glad you are loving your mission! It just gets better and better! Love from the Browns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see how well you are both doing adjusting to Okinawa, I knew you would love it. The weather can get cold do to the" lack of insulation" as you put it; however if you can make all cement type buildings look good your set for life. That is wonderful that you have an American washer and dryer I didn't think it was possible....that is great news. It is nice to go on base and just get it all done however I had two babies at the time and that was very difficult. I would think you would meet all kinds of people while doing laundry, I always did.
    I have been to all of the places you are posting, great memories I am happy for you to have a great partner to experience Okinawa with. As I hear it the divorce rate is still extremely high there the transition is a lot for youngsters like me, I was only 18 when I arrived there.
    The water is so beautiful and the people are very friendly, it is a great mission I believe.
    I am glad that he likes to drive there that was so crazy for me I was terrified it took me at least a year before I went and got my license. However if it is anything like it was in 1991,they are very curious drivers much better then Colorado.
    Thanks for the updates, I miss you Janet.....just not the same here without you! I am glad you are able to be there for others and you have a gift worth sharing.

    Love Ya

    Susan Sheppard

    ReplyDelete