“There is neither man or woman in this Church who is not on a mission. That mission will last as long as they live, and it is to do good, to promote righteousness, to teach the principles of truth, and to prevail upon themselves and everybody around them to live those principles that they may obtain eternal life.”
Discourses of Brigham Young

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas in Okinawa

How to make an Okinawan snowman: Paint pumpkins white and stack them!


To see snapshots of our December activities, visit my web album

http://picasaweb.google.com/savagetribe/2009ChristmasInOkinawa?authkey=Gv1sRgCPnH6oDymeHrZQ#

Our December was busy with activities both fun and spiritual – service projects, a missionary conference, the community choir concert, Japanese/American dance party, holiday gatherings and much more. We celebrated Christmas with lessons and visits, a baptism at the ocean’s edge and gifts we delivered all over the island. There is no end of opportunity to serve and no One better to honor than the King of Kings, Christ Jesus. Most importantly, we paused to reflect that the Babe in the manger in Bethlehem is remembered because of His life, His suffering in Gethsemane and His resurrection from the empty tomb. These are the true gifts of Christmas.

Early in the month, we helped with a service project for a Japanese orphanage in Naha City. The women and young women of one of the American branches of the Church collected toys, clothes, furniture and much more for a private orphanage which cares for more than 50 children from age 18 months to 18 years. In Japan, children are sometimes given up by teenage mothers or parents unable to care for them. They are also taken away if parents are sent to prison, and they are not returned.

Church members from the military community were very generous to our 30 younger missionaries. They provided gifts of American products, special treats, new socks and a new shirt to each of our young missionaries of Okinawa. We had the great privilege of delivering these gifts. From Nago on the north to Naha on the south, we made a stop at every missionary apartment to deliver what Santa’s elves had lovingly gathered. It took two days and gave us much pleasure.


Of course parties and celebrations are a traditional part of the Christmas season. We were fortunate to attend several such events, if only for a few minutes on some occasions. Each one was delightful in its own way.


On Christmas Eve we attended a party where neighbors and military families brought together traditions from around the world. It was an outdoor event, and the temperature that evening was a balmy 70 degrees. We aren’t missing the Colorado snow at all! In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit it rained all day on Christmas and for a few days thereafter. On Christmas Day some of the missionaries made their calls home using our computer. While they visited, I made waffles for them and our neighbors. It was a fun time.


We are blessed to have access to the internet and Skype to stay connected to family back home. [Skype = computer software which allows users to make video and voice calls over the internet. It is absolutely the best thing for keeping in touch from half way around the world or just around town.] We are so grateful to live in this day of modern technology. On Thanksgiving Day our 6th grandchild was born – Dean Phillip Savage. Before he was 12 hours old, we saw him via Skype from his hospital room in Colorado Springs. It was such a joy!


Sadly, the computer I brought with me to Okinawa has died – or, at least, it’s in a coma. Three weeks after the warranty expired, so did my computer! Fortunately, we each brought a laptop. At this point, we are sharing Phil’s, but I sorely miss having my own. And, if it cannot be resurrected, I will miss pictures and other data that died with it. I haven’t given up hope, but it’s looking pretty bleak at this point.


Another bit of sad news – now don’t laugh – is my strange new hair color. It’s no secret that I color my hair. Though I’m not one to spend much time or effort (or money) on my hair, it seems harmless to camouflage the ever-increasing population of grey strands. Concerned that I wouldn’t find my usual product here, before we left I asked the advice of my hairdresser in Colorado. Unfortunately, the drugstore product she recommended is also not available here so I bought what I thought came the nearest to ideal. Well, to make a long story short, I am now sporting the most awful shade of brassy auburn you’ve ever seen. It’s not a very dignified shade for a missionary. Don’t expect any pictures – I’ll let you use your imagination on this one! I did get a great haircut from a delightful Japanese hairdresser.


Culture Corner: Only a small percentage of the Japanese population is Christian. Yet Christmas decorations and celebrations are common here. Perhaps more marketing than anything else, lights, trees, snowmen and Santa are everywhere along with traditional Christmas tunes.


May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends who care. Until next time, Happy New Year.



3 comments:

  1. Why, what a fun blog post to read! You are a wonderful writer! Wow-- you two are having QUITE the experience! I love the pictures and updates. WHat a great way to serve for two years! Keep the updates coming. As always, you're in our prayers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Elder and Sister Pierce
    Great job and fun to hear how you are doing. Sorry to hear about your computer. It is a fear that we have also that ours will go down. It is such a must for the senior couple. Well keep up the good work, it sounds as if you are very happy in your missionary work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Elder and Sister Peterson: I enjoyed reading your blog. It sounds like you are having a wonderful mission. As to the hair, I bet your hairdresser could modify it to make it better for you. I'm also sorry about your computer. We both have laptops and it has been a blessing. Having to share would be hard. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete